It will come as no surprise to hear that cost is one of the most important considerations ODs take into account when contemplating a new practice management and EHR system. It is a big investment, after all. But how do you truly determine what a solution costs before you make a purchasing decision?
When speaking with software vendors you need to make sure you understand exactly what is going to show up on your bill so there aren’t any surprises. Don’t get hit with hidden fees down the line – use these 10 questions to find out exactly what a vendor will charge you. Then, once you have the answers, plug them into this online cost calculator to see how all those fees add up over time so you can compare the long-term investment of every system you consider.
Evaluate the Real Cost of Optometry Software with These 10 Questions
- Is pricing based on a long-term contract or a monthly subscription?
- Are there annual licensing fees to use the software?
- Is there a fee for data conversion?
- What if I want to cancel?
- Will I be charged for software updates and upgrades?
- Are there fees for additional training or support?
- Are there fees associated with implementation and set-up?
- As far as soft costs, what kind of downtime will there be during software updates and maintenance?
- Will my staff need to work late certain days to assist with updates, resulting in overtime pay?
- Do I need to buy or upgrade my hardware to work with updates to the software?
Cost isn't the only thing you should be asking software vendors either. You should be asking about the EHR, how comprehensive the system is, your technology options, how training works, and what kind of support the vendor offers.
Luckily, we’ve put together a list of all the questions you should be asking vendors about each and every one of these topics. Get your copy of the list and get the answers you need before you buy.