For many of optometry’s class of 2018, school is out, and commencement is over. Now, you get to start your career in the eyecare industry. While the next chapter in your life may seem a bit scary, you don’t have to go at it alone. Below are some tips from your optometry community that you can use throughout your optometry career.
Advice For New Optometry School Graduates
Tips On Money
- Join the military and apply for loan repayment
- Payoff your loans early
- Invest in your retirement
- Don’t live above your means
- Don’t be afraid of good debt if it will help you build a better practice
Advice For Business
- Get everything in writing
- Hire experienced staff that share your practice goals
- Find a specialty
- Work with a mentor
- Know your strengths and get help for your weaknesses
Guidance For Life
- Never stop asking questions
- Practice where you want to live, don’t live where you have to practice
- Join optometry groups like ODs on Facebook or Corporate Optometry
- Take care of yourself
- Have fun
Congratulations to optometry’s class of 2018!
Discover more tips from some of America’s top ODs in this ebook.