Every industry is being affected by technological developments and the eyecare industry is no exception. These developments are making life in and out of the office a whole lot easier. And these days there are several different options out there for optical practice management systems for optometrists.
Any change can be scary, but adopting, replacing, or upgrading to a practice management system is completely worth it. Practice management solutions will make your day-to-day paperwork process quick and organized. You will no longer have to worry about losing a patients files or spending countless hours on the phone with all your labs trying to fix errors.
So Why Should You Make the Optical Practice Management System Switch?
Practice management solutions for eye care practices will save you time and money in the long run. But there are also a lot of other benefits to gain from a practice management solution.
- Integrated Services. It is likely that your practice management system will have the ability to integrate with online ordering services like VisionWeb. Having this feature will save time by using the information that is already in your practice's system to create and submit orders directly to your suppliers. Integrating your practice management system and online ordering services will also significantly decrease the amount of time youll have to spend on the phone with your labs. You wont need to track down lab orders because you will have access to up-to-date order statuses online.
- Less Work & Less Errors. Most systems are able to integrate with online ordering services, and there is no longer a need to enter a patients order twice. The data that was entered into the practice management system will be duplicated to complete the online order automatically. Not only does this save time, but it reduces the potential for making errors. You no longer need to enter information in over and over again, which means human error is significantly decreased. With practice management integrations, you can feel confident that your orders are being sent to your suppliers error-free, every time.
- Consolidates Processes into One Location. If your practice is still using traditional ways of organizing documents, you probably find yourself misplacing and searching for files all over the office. These piles are probably unorganized, and its easy to misplace an important document in the wrong pile, making it impossible to find. However, by upgrading your practice with a practice management system, you can store all of your documents in one centralized location. You can practically run your entire practice paperless and straight from your desk! In addition, it will free up a significant amount of physical office space.
How Should I Handle the Practice Management Software Switch?
- Be Patient. Changing something at your practice that will affect everyone, is bound to be a difficult task. There is no doubt that people will have questions and make mistakes. However, you need to give yourself and your staff time to adjust, and be patient. As we said earlier, change can be scary, and there is a lot of training and learning involved with adopting a new system.
- Get Prepared with an Implementation Plan. In order for the change to go as smooth as possible, you need to have to plan to make sure everyone is on track with the progress. This will not be an overnight change. First, if you are completely new to using a practice management system, there will be a lot of manually entering information into the system before youll be able to use all of its features. In the end, all of the hard work will be worth it, but you need to allocate the appropriate amount of time and effort into learning and getting the new system ready to use.
I Purchased a New Practice Management System. Now What?
- Get Familiar With all the Features. There are many features of a practice management system and once youve purchased it, you should use all that you can. Many practices dont explore all of these features and miss out on more opportunities to save time, money, and improve patient care. A practice management system can be a big expense for a practice, so make sure you get the most bang for your buck!
- Add Other Service Integrations. Integration doesnt stop with ordering services. You also have the ability to integrate electronic claim filing clearinghouses, product catalogs, and many other integrations that will save you even more time!
- Make Sure Your Staff Knows How to Use the System. It is not necessary to train your staff on every in and out of the system. However, if they arent thoroughly trained on the features they will be using, you wont be getting your moneys worth out of your investment. Train all your staff or they will be reluctant to use new features, be more prone to mistakes, and be less efficient in general. And remember there is going to be a learning curve on a new system. Make sure to encourage your employees to seek out training materials and ask questions!
Practice management solutions will provide many benefits to your practice. Your practice can become significantly more efficient if you follow these tips and put in the time and effort!
Want more information on optical practice management system solutions? We love to write about this topic! So we'd love to see you around the Uprise blog more!