The October 1st implementation date for ICD-10 that once seemed so far away is quickly approaching. Is your practice ready to make the switch successfully? We've got a ten question quiz that will give you some insight as to how much you actually know about the new code set and the claims management process, and it will help you determine if your practice is ready, or if you need to hit the books!
ICD-10 & Claims Management Quiz
1. What does ICD-10 stand for?
A. Internal Code Diagnosis 10th edition
B. International Statistical Classification of Disease and Health Related Problems 10th revision
C. Internal Status Classification of Diagnosis and Health Related Problems 10th edition
D. International Coding of Diseases 10th revision
2. Use of ICD-10 is not required to remain HIPAA compliant.
3. How often will the ICD-10 codes be updated?
4. How old is the current set of ICD-9 codes?
A. 30 years
B. 20 years
C. 40 years
D. 15 years
5. ICD-10 does not affect CPT coding for outpatient procedures.
6. Preparing for ICD-10 is really just a clerical function.
7. ICD-9 has _______ codes, and ICD-10 has _______ codes.
A. 10,000; 65,000
B. 10,000; 68,000
C. 13,000; 68,000
D. 13,000; 65,000
8. What is a placeholder?
A. A non-specific code
B. A code that is only 5 digits in length
C. A crosswalk between ICD-9 and ICD-10
D. An "X" in one of the code positions
9. Practices will have to use ICD-10 for external cause reporting even if they haven't been reporting external causes on ICD-9.
10. What are GEMs?
A. Generic Equating Mapping tools
B. General Equivalence Mapping tools
C. Geographic Equivalence Mapping tools
D. General Equating Mapping tools
Answers: 1:B 2:B 3:C 4:A 5:A 6:B 7:C 8:D 9:B 10:B
How’d you do? Are you an ICD-10 expert, or could you use a crash-course in the new code set? If you need some help learning more about ICD-10 make sure to check out the CMS website as well as these posts:
- Getting Your Staff on Board with ICD-10 and Optical Software
- 7 ICD-10 Myths That could Affect Your Office Workflow
- ICD-10 Questions to Ask Your EHR Software Vendor
- EHR Workflow: What to do While You Wait for ICD-10
- 3 Reasons Not to be Spooked by ICD-10
- Optometry EHR: ICD-10 Challenges You Might Face