For EPs that are participating in the Medicare or Medicaid EHR Incentive Program and are planning to meet one of the Stage 2 Meaningful Use criteria for public health measures, the deadline to register your intent to initiate ongoing submission with your public health agency (PHA), program, or other body is within 60 days of the start of your EHR reporting period.
For 2015, this deadline is March 1st.
Meaningful Use Criteria:
Registering for Intent of Public Health Measures
If you fail to register intent by this deadline, you will not be able to meet the measure. A public health measure can be satisfied by meeting any one of the following criteria:
- Ongoing submission was already achieved for an EHR reporting period in a prior year and continues throughout the current EHR reporting period.
- Registration with the PHA or other body was made by the deadline (within 60 days of the start of the EHR reporting period) and ongoing submission was achieved.
- Registration of intent to initiate ongoing submission was made by the deadline and the EP is still engaged in testing and validation of ongoing electronic submission.
- Registration of intent to initiate ongoing submission was made by the deadline and the EP is awaiting invitation to begin testing and validation.
A Little More About Public Health Measures
- There are 5 public objectives in Stage 2 of the Medicare and Medicaid Incentive Programs including immunizations, reportable lab results (EHs and CAHs only), syndromic surveillance, cancer, and specialized registries (EPs only).
- Unless an EP meets an exclusion criteria, it is mandatory for them to complete the public health objectives in the core set, as part of their demonstration of Meaninful Use.
- 3 of the 6 menu objectices for EPs are public health related objectives. EPs must select 3 menu objectives, but they are not required to select the public health objectives.
For more information on deadlines and Meaningful Use requirements, please visit the CMS website, or download our free eBook!