When things go wrong, it is nice to know someone is there to help. However, it can be difficult to be helpful when you don’t fully understand the situation. To get the best optometry software support, your vendor might need more information to help resolve your problem. Some online customer support systems might provide a space for image attachments, to help specify any issues. But, in order for this to be beneficial, you need to know how to take a screen shot!
Taking a Screenshot for Optometry Software Support
How to Take a Screen Shot for PC Users
There are a few different ways to take a screen shot on your computer. We recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool. With the snipping tool you can capture a screen shot of anything on your screen, annotate, save, and share the image. Follow these easy steps:
1. To open the snipping tool, click the start button in the bottom left hand corner of your screen (the blue circle with the red, green, blue, and yellow rectangle inside). In the search box that appears, type "snipping tool", and from the list of the results select the snipping tool.
2. Once you open the snipping tool, you can select the type of snip you'd like to make from the dropdown arrow next to "New" button. We recommend using the rectangular snip so that you can easily select the area you'd like to include in your screen shot.
3. Once you select the type of snippet you'd like to capture, a gray transparent screen appears and your mouse will look like a crosshair. Click and drag your mouse across the area you'd like to capture.
4. After you've captured your desired image, you can write, draw, or highlight on the image to call out certain areas using the pen or highlighter tool in the top menu.
5. Click the "Save Snip" button from the top menu (looks like a disk), and a "Save As" box will pop up.
6. In the Save As dialog box, enter the name of the image, and choose a location on your computer that you will remember to save the image, then click save. We recommend creating and naming a new folder specifically for your screenshots so that all your images are kept in the same place.
7. Now that your image is saved you'll be able to easily attach it to a support ticket!
How to Take a Screen Shot for Mac Users
To get a shot of the entire screen:
1. Press and hold Command, Shift, and the number 3 all at the same time. When you lift your fingers from the keys, the image will be saved to the desktop.
To capture only part of the screen:
1. Press and hold Command, Shift, and the number 4. Your mouse will change to a crosshair shape.
2. Click and drag to select what you want an image of (the area will highlight grey). As soon as you let go of the mouse, your image will be saved to the desktop.
How to Take a Screen Shot for Apple iPad/iPhone
1. Press the lock screen button (on top) and home button (the circle one) at the same time.
2. Check to confirm that it was saved in your photos.
How to Take a Screen Shot for Android Tablet/Phone
1. Press the volume down and the power button at the same time.
2. Check to confirm that is was saved in your photos.
Now that you have saved an image showing the issue within the software, all you have to do is attach it to your support ticket. Make sure that when you save your image to your computer, it is somewhere you can easily find it again. It might be a good idea to create a new folder meant just for screen shots.
Get the most reliable customer service for Practice Management and EHR software with Uprise!