Is your practice getting ready to make the switch to ICD-10 in October? While it may seem like forever away, it will be here in no time, and you need to start preparing your practice. And a big part of getting your practice ready is making sure that your EHR software is going to be ready to go. So, whether you're already using a system or looking to make a change, ICD-10 should be at the forefront of your conversations with software vendors.
The CMS website is a great resource for everything you need to know about ICD-10. That's where we found some of these questions, along with a few of our own. It's never too early to start the conversation. If your software isn't going to help you with the transition it's going to make things a lot harder for you and your staff. Maybe it's time for an upgrade!
15 Questions about ICD-10 You Should be Asking EHR Software Vendors
- Is your EHR Software equipped for ICD-10?
- Will you install what's necessary before the October 1, 2015 deadline so that I can begin testing? What does your timeline look like for these updates?
- Will there be a cost associated with any software updates related to the switch to ICD-10?
- Will I need new hardware to accomodate ICD-10 related software changes?
- What are the costs associated with maintaining any new software?
- Will there be any downtime for my system while updates are made?
- Will there be new things I have to learn in the software interface?
- Will you offer support? If so, for how long? Is it free?
- How do I report issues and how quickly will you respond?
- Will you provide training in your software?
- Will you offer support during and after internal ICD-10 testing?
- Does your product give me the ability to search for codes by the ICD-10 alphabetic and tabular indexes? By clinical concept?
- Will your software help me with the transition by suggesting ICD-10 codes based on the clinical data I enter about specific patients?
- Am I going to be able to use the same templates and content that I currently have or will I need to re-customize them all for the new ICD-10 compliant software?
- Will both the practice management and EHR solution support ICD-10?